We know how important the decision regarding commercial insurance is to business owners. Your truck is your investment and owners want the best coverage to protect their property and business. Commercial truck insurance is also a requirement for operating in Florida. The best protection for your commercial truck is starting with the base requirements and building to your specific needs.
Florida has minimum requirements for commercial truck insurance. If you do not have the base requirements, you cannot operate a commercial vehicle in the state of Florida. The base requirements are a great starting point to customizing your policy.
- 750,000 Nonhazardous freights
- 300,000 Household Items
- 1,000,000 Oil and related substances
- 5,000,000 Hazardous freights
These minimums are only relevant if the freight stays within the state. If the freight goes across state lines, there will be additional requirements. The driver will have to meet FMCSA federal liability limits. These limits can be between 750,000 to 1,000,000. This coverage will include property damage that will occur with any collision and the cost of serious injury or death. Because of the high risk of injury while operating commercial vehicles, it is recommended that drivers carry their own additional insurance.
Additional Commercial Insurance
Liability and personal protection insurance are the minimum insurance requirements for drivers and commercial truck owners. However, drivers have the option to add the following onto their insurance policy to further protect themselves.
- Collison Coverage- This will cover damage to the truck you are driving
- Towing- Towing from the scene of an accident
- Comprehensive Coverage- Coverage for fire, theft and vandalism
- Uninsured Motorist- This will cover damage from someone who does not have adequate insurance to cover damage or who does not have insurance
- Personally Owned Truck- Coverage for using your personal vehicle when used for commercial business.
- Hired Truck- Coverage for a driver who is not driving a truck that is registered to him/her.
Because your commercial truck is important for your business, insuring it is a must. However, we understand how complicated insurance policies can be, this is why our agents are certified to help you choose the right policy to protect your business. American Insurance Brokers work with thousands of commercial policies and we are excited to help you choose the right one to fit your needs. To get started, click here for a free quote.