As a commercial truck operator, you will want to know the exact insurance requirements to protect your investment. Commercial truck insurance will protect you from financial loss so this insurance should be the number one priority. The type of insurance you’ll need will vary with what you are hauling. If you’re hauling hazardous materials, the cost and insurance requirements could go up quickly.
In general, the FMCSA requires you to file liability and cargo insurance forms. These forms will have a fee to process and are subject to your driving record. Commercial truck insurance requirement forms are as follows:
- Public liability insurance form
- Cargo insurance form
- Surety Bond
Types of Insurance to protect your commercial vehicle
After processing the forms, you’ll want to pick out the right insurance to protect your commercial truck. This greatly depends on what you are hauling. To better determine these requirements, you’ll want to speak with a licensed insurance broker. In general, the basic insurance requirements are:
- Depreciation Insurance– This will cover the gap between what you owe on the vehicle and what the vehicle is worth.
- General Liability Insurance– This protects you from personal and property loss.
- Truck Cargo Insurance– Protects what you are hauling.
- Break down Insurance– Assists in the cost of mechanical problems with the commercial truck.
- Physical damage coverage– Protect your vehicle when physical damage occurs.
Because commercial truck insurance requirements can vary it is best to speak with a qualified broker. However, there are some commonalities between commercial truck insurance requirements. However, the policy must have bodily injury and property damage insurance.
Commercial truck insurance requirements may look daunting but with a qualified insurance broker and a good driving record, you will be well on your way to ensuring your vehicle. Most importantly, if you have a good driving record, the policy cost will not be as much. However, American Insurance brokers will be able to help you determine what you need and set you up with an affordable policy. Click here for your free quote and to get started today.